Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
When Central Station opened in 1906, it was a symbolic piece of infrastructure that joined urban and rural interests. Yet the elevated structure is effectively cut off from the city fabric. This design connects the classic, geometric order of Central’s architecture to Belmore Park.
A series of terraces radiate out from the clocktower, cascading down through the park. They act as a threshold to dissolve the rigid order of the station to the cultural landscape outside.
The architectural language of the building has been brought outside, exploring the ambiguity between the built and natural forms.
The distinct characteristics of the building and park are preserved, but the overall identity is strengthened because all the components read as the one meaningful entity.